Saturday, August 8, 2009

46. The Journeyman Chronicles, Part II- Hypercritical

Some of you know me with two sides (or three depending on how well you know me), which is while being a sensitive and caring person, I can be outright critical on just about every subject... mainly pop culture.

With that said, I went with some friends to the mall because they needed some stuff and we walked into this one corner store (I think it's called Journeys) and I felt so out of place. Not that I feel really awkward and uncomfortable and need to get the hell out of here out of place, but the "this stuff is so lame and the only people that wear this stuff listen to lame music, try to act not true to themselves, and overall will regret many things in their life" type of response. It's the fact that I detest current trends so much, no matter what it is.

Let's put it this way, unless I heard it first, you'll never hear me saying "I like this song" while listening to G105 or have my hat on my head in any other position than forwards. You can cut the pretentiousness with a knife nowadays...

I'm critical about everything... music, movies, culture, religion, TV, etc.

Now is it bad that I have such ill will towards certain things? I can understand having some gripes with stuff, but always having some negative feelings towards a lot of stuff? Sure I'm generally happy, but I do think a lot things that people listen to or wear look like ass! And I thought the preppy look was stupid!

Can you see yourself as hypercritical?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I don't see myself as hypercritical. I mean, I like what I like, simple as that. Other people...I may not like what they like, but they can look stupid if they want to, and I don't really care. The stuff on G105 is mostly a bunch of crap, frankly. There is hardly any good music that is popular. I have fun sometimes pretending to be "gangstah" and rocking out with my friends to some Flo-ri-da or something, but at the end of the day, pop music is not what I want to listen to. The latest song that's come out on G105 that I actually like is Kelly Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You."

So that leads me to thinking...why do these people (the general public) like such, essentially, dumbed down music (with stupid lyrics as well)? Whatever happened to an appreciation for REAL music? Chris, I may not be into all the bands you like, but I consider your tastes very good nonetheless. :) I like music that has a lot of thought put into both the lyrics and the music, appreciating things like a wide range of instruments used, good use of counterpoint and harmony, and I really like mixed-genre songs...like bluegrass jazz or something.

Chris said...

Bluegrass...

Today would have been my grandfather's birthday, but he passed away last September. A customer at the grocery store I work at had a hat on for a bluegrass festival on. He used to go all over the Maritime Canada for bluegrass festivals. It made me somber for about an hour because it could have been any other day that guy could have worn that hat, but he just had to come in today on Papa's birthday.

Back to what you said, yeah I agree, a lot of the stuff people are into has no meaning these days. They'll listen to it because the songs mainly talk about drugs and partying, which is what a good percentage of people our age do these days...

A lot of people like Lil' Wayne and I don't get why, he has a terrible voice and the stuff he talks about isn't entertaining at all. So much for culture...