Monday, November 10, 2008

23. Remembrance Day

November 11th, the Day of Remembrance for those for fought and died for our freedoms all over the world. To me, I use to never take to heart the day until about three years ago when I started to think about my own familiy's history. My father's side had the war veterans while my mother's side had her father and brother who were peace-time vets. Ever since I paused at 11:00am for a minute or two to pay my respects to those who served, I have always wanted a poppy to wear to honor my family.

Also, this day even means more to me because of the recent death of my grandfather
(Roy Doucet) who served on the HMCS Saguenay in the Royal Canadian Navy back in the 50's. It might have been peace time when he and his brother Ralph were in the Navy, but they still served and were ready to defend the nation while on that destroyer.

My great-uncle's brother Audley, who recently died last year (I only saw him once at Uncle Frank's 80th birthday) was a Prisoner of War in the Asian theatre during World War II while my other uncle (I can't remember his name, but when I find out I will put up his name ASAP) was shot down and killed over Chester, England defending against the Germans. I also believe my dad's father was in the services as well, but I never knew him because he died when my father was four.

I will be forever grateful for their sacrifice, courage, and honor for being in the service and serving my country.

To my relatives who served on both sides of my family, I salute you and will remember you always.

To Papa, my Hero:

The Naval Prayer


O Eternal Lord God,
who
and rulest the raging of the sea;
who has compassed the waters with bounds
until day and night come to an end;
be pleased to receive into Thy almighty and most gracious protection
the persons of us Thy servants, and the Fleet in which we serve.

Preserve us from the dangers of the sea,
and from the violence of the enemy;
that we may be a safeguard unto our most gracious Sovereign Lady,
Queen Elizabeth,
and her Dominions,
and a security for such as pass upon the seas upon their lawful occasions;
that the inhabitants of our Commonwealth may in peace and quietness
serve Thee our God;
and that we may return in safety
to enjoy the blessings of the land,
with the fruits of our labours,
and with a thankful remembrance of Thy mercies
to praise and glorify Thy Holy Name;
Amen.


Please, if you can, stop for a minute at 11:00am and think about who in your family or friends have served and sacrficed themselves for your country and for freedom. Thank you!





1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hey...I've tagged you! You'll know what I mean if you visit my blog...