Friday, December 19, 2008

29. To Clear The Air

As I have been debating in a friends blog post about my agnostic stance, hear me out: I am an agnostic on my own means because I have always questioned religion and the belief in a higher power, but I do not deny that there might be a higher power because things to happen without a reason, even though I believe in it being coincidental or pure luck instead of God or gods. But with that said, I can not say that maybe it wasn't the work of God, but I have the right to question if it was in my own mind and defend that action if contested.

And in the world we seem to be living today, I think being agnostic is the best thing for anybody to be because we are the one's that are not certain about what is beyond this life, but we want to know. We don't think (ok, maybe I don't think) it's right for someone to tell me or tell anyone that we live this life as preparation for the after life, I like to live life right now and would rather not want to wait. The same goes towards those atheists that just flat out say there is no heaven or hell and when we die, that's it. I myself would like there to be a heaven (and a hell, but I hope that I don't end up there if there is one) because I don't want to just die and that would be it. Here's where the agnostic part comes in; as I have said, I would like there to be a heaven, but we have always pointed to the sky and said the angels play among the clouds, yet we have been to space, which requires us to fly past the "heavens" as we all like to call it. Where is heaven then? That is an agnostic view because we know people have reported out of body experiences, seeing a white light, but there are those who have been brought back to life and never reported any of that.

We are the ultimate fence-sitters in the great religious debate.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

1. I hope you do not think I am pushing anything on you. I care enough about you, however, to try and tell you what I believe is right because I do not want you to go to hell any more than you do. I am not one of those Christians who will walk up to a random person on the street and start preaching the gospel.

2. Heaven is a spiritual realm. "The Heavens" is an expression. Man cannot physically be closer to God. Only spiritually. And nobody knows what really goes on in Heaven because nobody has gone and stayed anywhere near there long enough to come back and tell tales.

3. It is like Christopher (aka Mr. H.) on my blog said...no religion can really be proven. If you are looking for proof of a certain belief to believe in, you are not going to find it. Also, in the new testament Paul says you need nothing else than to believe in God. Acts are not going to save you, but faith will. And you do not have to call yourself "Christian" to believe in God.

Chris said...

1. I wouldn't expect that you would ever to do that! You probably find those people as annoying as I do!

2. I know the Heavens is an expression, but you have to fully understand the whole concept that I talked about.

3. Agnostic fits into that last sentence! The absolute definition of agnostic is a person that believes in God but questions the existence and material proof. Though I might not believe as much as the next agnostic, but I already mentioned that on the blog.

Jessica said...

1. Yes, I do. I hate to be harsh, but to me they are like those foreign sales people at the hair-and-nail-care stands at the mall. :P

2. I do know what you are saying. I was just pointing out one part where it seemed as if you thought you could get to Heaven if you went high enough in the sky.

3. How can you believe in God if you question his existence? That is not belief, that is questioning. AGAIN, like Mr. H. said, faith does not require proof. If you need proof then it is not faith and therefore not believing. And having faith and hoping are not the same thing.

Chris said...

I believe that people have the right to question what is around them. I don't think that God will go against you for questioning his ability.

Jessica said...

It is a natural thing to question. However, to fully believe in Him you cannot doubt. As humans that is very hard to do. I will admit that sometimes I think, "well, what if there isn't a God?" And I am not flooded with guilt after the fact, but He did reveal Himself to my heart and so even though my mind may question him, I know in my heart he is real and never want to doubt that.

Jonathan David Page said...

Chris, my apologies if I offended you with my questioning. You said a few things which sounded suspiciously atheistic. I merely wanted clarification, which you have provided.

Chris said...

Nah, I didn't take any offense to it. It's fine, atleast you can understand the views I gave and I am thankful for that.

Jessica said...

Jos, you seem to enjoy berating people with probing questions.... :P