Monday, May 12, 2008

2. Music Is The Teachings...

As I sit here with my iPod plugged into my Playstation 3 so I can listen to the songs I have on the iPod through the stereo, I sit here and think of what some songs truly mean to me in real life. Of course some songs have absolutely no meaning ("Toronto Tontos" by Max Webster being a prime example!) while some I can truly identify with and there are some that I just can not completely understand and make me know that if I wrote something like that, I would feel embarassed to have my parents listen to it (mainly today's rap and the hair metal bands of the 80's).

But anyways, in recent times, there is one song I can identify with when it comes to my views on religion, the song "Faithless" by Rush (written by Neil Peart) completely describes my way of thinking. Here are the lyrics:

I've got my own moral compass to steer by
A guiding star beats a spirit in the sky
And all the preaching voices -
Empty vessels ring so loud
As they move among the crowd
Fools and thieves are well disguised
In the temple and market place

Like a stone in the river
Against the floods of spring
I will quietly resist

Like the willows in the wind
Or the cliffs along the ocean
I will quietly resist

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

I've got my own spirit level for balance
To tell if my choice is leaning up or down
And all the shouting voices
Try to throw me off my course
Some by sermon, some by force
Fools and thieves are dangerous
In the temple and market place

Like a forest bows to winter
Beneath the deep white silence
I will quietly resist

Like a flower in the desert
That only blooms at night
I will quietly resist

As you see, I consider myself agnostic, I do not entirely knock the notion of a God or no God, but I want to go on the path I want without feeling like there is a force working with or against me. Along with that, I do not think down on people who use their faith as a sense of motivation and guidance, if thats how they can live their life, than kudos to them! My lack of faith does not play into moral by any sense because I can proudly say that I have some strong morals, in fact, some that are stronger than some people who go to church and say they follow the word of God (remember, I said some people, I know my friend across the street has better at morals than I am, and I keep a tight shift!). To end this post, I can say I believe in love and that's faith enough for me.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

You know, in the Bible it says God is Love...

Ha ha, you've finally started a blog. How nice. Well, I don't look down on people without a religion either, just so you know.

Darned word verification!

Chris said...

Haha, I know you don't! I definately know that through the text messages!

Jessica said...

What's that supposed to mean? *blinks innocently*

Anonymous said...

So, you pretty much think you can run your life on your own and don't really need God? I'm not being rude here or anything but I'm just kinda curious what you do believe.
OJ

Chris said...

I believe in myself, as I have said before, I am agnostic, not an atheist, I don't write off the possibility of a higher form, but I don't see it as God doing things right for me, I see it as myself doing things right or me. Basically free will over determinism.

Anonymous said...

I will definately be praying for you, Chris. God loves you and is waiting with open arms for you to turn to him. I garentee it is the best decision you will ever make.
There was a time in my life when I felt the same way you did, Through some difficult circumstances I realized just how badly I needed the Lord. My life has never been the same since.

For God so LOVED the world that he gave his only begotten son so that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Just as an after thought........do you ever think about what will happen when to you die?

you're in prayers-
OJ

Chris said...

As long as I have faith I am good. But I am talking about faith in myself, knowing that I have to protect myself from evils and to know that I can prosper in the worst of times.