Monday, May 26, 2008

7. 96 Rock's Memorial 500 Countdown

Well 96 Rock is about to finish up their top 500 songs for Memorial Day and I have listened to a lot of it, but here is a run down on a couple of spots and then my review of the Top 5.

#500: "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister, actually, in a sense, it makes sense! Its the perfect opening song because don't you wanna rock when the countdown kicks off? In all honesty though, could have been slightly higher.

Live had their big hit around spot number 50, I agree with the DJ that was on when it played, it shouldn't be in the top 500!

Ok, so here is the Top 5:

#5. "One" by Metallica- Very surprised that it is that high up, but nonetheless, a great song indeed and deserves to be there (I'm a metal fan, so yeah, haha).

#4. "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd- It's a good song, no doubt about, but being back in North Carolina makes me realize that I never really missed the song. Would be awesome to try to play it in a band, though!

#3. "Baba O'Reilly" by The Who- A shocker, but a good song all together. I would think that "Won't Get Fooled Again" would be at this position because I think its a way more powerful song that this one. But I love the song, so its all good :).

#2. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana- Well Generation X is getting older and I can see how this is almost becoming the "old guard" of rock for those born in the nineties and now. But I don't see it in my top 5, but top 10. I have the album by the way and I love the ferocious attitude played by Kurt, Dave, and Krist.

#1. "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin. A very powerful song that tops almost everybody lists (I like The Rain Song better honestly). I've listened to the song way to much in the past couple of years, but its a good song now again now that I haven't heard it in awhile. Maybe it stems from the people of my generation that walk around in the Led Zeppelin 1977 tour shirts and they broke up from Bonham's death way before any of us were born. My dad was suppose to see them in '77, but Robert Plant's kid died while they were on tour and they canceled the rest of it. I can't remember who said it, but they said the reason so many people love it is because its a "climber" song, that it constantly climbs in tempo and attitude. Very true!

The list will be posted soon at http://www.96rockonline.com

5 comments:

Jessica said...

You know, I had made it a priority to listen to the top 500, but then there was the vacation and graduation and then I just forgot. I turned on the radio for about two minutes yesterday and heard Free Bird somewhere in the middle of it, and then...I turned it off and went to go eat something. Of all 500 songs, I heard one fourth of number four. Woo-hoo.

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of Nirvana or Metallica, except for "Smells Like Teen Spirit", and two other Metallica songs, "Fuel" and "Nothing Else Matters". Frankly, I don't care much for the Who, but that's a matter of taste, not over all greatness of the band, apparently. As for Free Bird and Stairway, while I like those songs, they are just cliche favorites to me. You have to include them or you're not a "rock fan" or something. They are great songs, but ALMOST getting up there with "Sweet Home Alabama" in that I would rather listen to something else. Were any Yes songs on the list?

Chris said...

Don't know about Yes, if not then thats a travesty because "Roundabout" is sucha great tune, I mean Chris Squire is just all over the song with his phenominal bass playing. But i have the feeling you might be referring to "Owner of a Lonely Heart" haha.

Jessica said...

Nope! I was actually referring to "Roundabout", believe it or not. That's definitely on my top 5, with "Owner of a Lonely Heart" maybe being on my top 25 or something... :)

Chris said...

I need to once a month post what I have listened to the most in the past month.

Anonymous said...

Rain song better than stairway? The rain song puts me to sleep. I actually but it on my playlist that I listen to go to bed. I agree 100% that the raw aggressiveness of Nirvana is what made people even like them in the first place. No matter how much talent a band has, it does the band no good unless they play with pure emotion. Thank you for inspiring me to write a blog on music.